Adventures in Stepford
Monday, November 17, 2008
Estate Planning
More "Cleaning Out My Closet" as Eminem would say... This draft is from September 23, 2007. Had forgotten all about it.



Good heavens, complications abound: The very non-linear process of grieving my mother coupled with having to retain my own attorney to force my mother's husband, that selfish child rapist, to do the right thing by his late wife's daughter (moi) as the will indicates.

The process of finding an attorney out of state, and telling my story to 4 different lawyers on the way to the right one. That was tough - but I did it.

While that doesn't sound big, I am proud of myself. I'm never going to speak to that bad man again, and I'm hoping to get some justice - but it will likely not be easy. Because let's face it, it's me, and most things are hard-won in my corner of the world.

But, having a week with my mother at the end of her life was a gift toward resolution. She knew I was there, and she was happy to see me. And I would not have been anywhere else. I lived at the hospital. God orchestrated so many things that week to reassure me of His presence and healing in the midst of a horror show externally. I am so blessed to have had that time. Many people don't have even that small chance to repair a family bond; God knew I needed to have that if it was her time to die. Otherwise, I would be living under a cinderblock of guilt. I already have some, thank you, but it's much less now.

Lawsuit with the Bad Man was settled in February 2008. The Husband went down there to take care of the details for me, and to confront the Bad Man [who did NOT do right by me, as the Will indicates. Small percentage of what was owed me. But fcuk it. I never have to speak with him again]. He's so great in a crisis of circumstance, The Husband (as I know I've said before) - and he wanted to protect me from this fallout. I will always be grateful to him for helping me through my father's death in 2001 as well my mother's.

Public gratitude all around from this Orphaned Adult.

Labels:

posted by Adventures in Stepford @ 3:23 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Adventures in Stepford

    instepford (at) gmail.com
Shoutbox
And now, with God's help, I shall become myself
-Søren Kierkegaard

Welcome to Stepford.

The Background Check
The Husband's Story
The In-Between
The G Factor
Archives
The Part Where I Feel Famous
Powered by


BLOGGER

Creative Commons License