Adventures in Stepford
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
If you put it out there, you're going to get Smacked
Ouch.
Way back when I first started this blog last summer, I put it out there on blogrolls, Technorati, Top Blog Sites, etc.

Yes, yes, to shamelessly get traffic here, in the (misguided? self-important?) hope that people would get something from my story. I also submitted it to be reviewed on the above site. They might give a positive shoutout to 1 out of 10 blogs. Maybe. And they can be mean as hell about the rest of them. And it's no secret. But, in the interest of getting started, I submitted my blog for review.

Obviously, I was a dumbass.

It was reviewed yesterday, and duly hated. I was bored the very second I started reading this whinefest.

Oh, don't take it personally, you say? Riiiiight. My whole story here is as personal as I've ever been. That was the point of starting it. I sat in a corner and ate my hair for about an hour and then realized some good issues in the smartass-ed-ness of the reviewer (and subsequent comments) so I wanted to 'man-up' and face the music. Let's address a few, shall we?

"I can't tell if she's a strong Christian or making fun of one who is."

Oof. Anyone agree with him? I'd like to know. Perhaps because I swear like a sailor here? You can love Jesus and say fcuk (oh, FYI, I do misspell my bad words on purpose in order to not show up in internet search results). Now, whether or not I should be all 'sh!t' and 'fcuk' while being a person who reads the Bible, prays, and loves Jesus as my savior, I don't know. I'm sure that's not ideal. I'm just who I am.

But it did disturb me that I may be thought of as 'making fun' of Christianity. I think that's more the perception of Christians as 'holy' and 'above it all' and not struggling through Real Stuff, so I couldn't possibly be one.

Wrong. Thanks for playing. Next.

And in the comments section, this bit of snark:
Reading a while I keep waiting for her to explode or something, and we'd end up with exploded over-analytical chick goo all over the walls. Her story is somewhat interesting, but I'm not sure I want to know that much about a person. I'd rather they fake it and smile and look cool, then go have their meltdowns privately. Society runs better that way and it makes my life easier

Damn, ya'll. Isn't that interesting? No, really. That is exactly what I was like, the whole "fake it and smile and look cool" while having my "meltdowns privately". I think that is a lot of what is wrong in our society. It may "run better that way", but most of us are coming undone trying to fake it longterm. I totally got what he was saying, and I used to agree, and now I SO disagree with that sh!t.

Having said that, there's no need to bust out with TMI and "exploded over-analytical chick goo" (ha! that made me laugh, even though it was meant to be a slam) upon first meeting people IRL, but being Authentic is important, although sadly unnecessary in our culture. I guess it's up to you how Real you can stand to be in this life. Surface is easy, I know. I'm great at it. But it comes with a price. Eventually.

And you know, I did get a LOAD of referred traffic yesterday. So the original goal was obtained, even if people came, read, judged, and left. So be it.

Oh. My. God. And I thought I was introspective. This chick is fascinated with herself. It was nearly impossible for me to stop reading this blog - and now I'm going to go sit in a corner and think about my thoughts and my feelings about this.

Dude, I guess we're all fascinated with ourselves on some level. But the irony is I ignored myself for so long that the pendulum is swinging the other way for me in the aftermath of a Catastrophic Life Event and I guess it does look like massive amounts of navel-gazing. Oh, well.

I did get one positive comment on that site, and hooray, what a relief in maelstrom of slams.
the second one, though...love it. i can see how it could be tmi for a lot of people, but i have to have respect for someone who puts themselves really out there like that, and the story is interesting to me. maybe it's because i'm a chick, but i dig her.

Thanks.

Labels: ,

posted by Adventures in Stepford @ 9:58 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Adventures in Stepford

    instepford (at) gmail.com
Shoutbox
And now, with God's help, I shall become myself
-Søren Kierkegaard

Welcome to Stepford.

The Background Check
The Husband's Story
The In-Between
The G Factor
Archives
The Part Where I Feel Famous
Powered by


BLOGGER

Creative Commons License